Equasense brings you experience in leading organisation level equality, diversity and inclusion strategies alongside expertise in quantitative analysis, research project leadership, coaching and communication of complex ideas built over two decades.
Equasense founder Ellie Highwood has 5 years of leading Equality, Diversity and Inclusion strategy at departmental and then organisational level within a large UK University.
Ellie also has 20+ years of experience in quantitative analysis, research project leadership and communication of complex ideas to audiences ranging from academics and funding agencies to teachers, parents and primary school children.
Since 2019, Ellie has worked as a consultant, partnering with organisations large and small, including businesses, universities and learned and professional societies. Ellie uses her wide range of research, strategy development and communication skills to support organisations to devise targets, strategies and action plans. Within Higher Education Ellie also supports institutions and departments applying for external accreditation through the Athena Swan scheme.
Ellie has lived experience of being a woman working in male dominated environments, of working part-time and of having caring responsiblities.
- Henley Business School qualified coach. Accredited by the Association of Coaching.
- Speaker on gender equity in science.
- 3.5 years of experience as Head of Department of one of the top ranking Meteorology Departments in the world with responsibility for the management of 50 academics.
- 20+ years of research leadership, raising £3M grant funding and supervising more than 10 PhD students
- Board level experience as a Trustee and President (2016-18) of the Royal Meteorological Society.
- Teacher and trainer of groups from primary schools to the WI. STEM ambassador and volunteer.
- Trained facilitator – Association of Facilitators.
My most popular services are:
- Consciously Inclusive Leaders: 3-4 month programme of workshops and coaching to make sure your leaders are on-board with your EDI vision and confident in behaving inclusively
- “Critical friend” review of existing Diversity and Inclusion Strategy including detailed written feedback and face to face meeting with leadership team if appropriate.
- Strategy and action plan development: Series of facilitated discussions with leadership team to develop goals around diversity and inclusion, drafting strategy.
If you have a different specific diversity and inclusion requirement, please get in touch for a conversation about how I could develop that with, and for you.
Kind words from past clients
Just a quick note of thanks. I hope you enjoyed the visit which was extremely helpful for us in understanding not just how we can further shape our [Athena Swan] submission but also think more broadly around equality issues. Thank you also for taking the time to provide such a detailed analysis of the draft, which again is very helpful.
Prof Michael Young, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic), University of Sunderland
Thank you very much for your excellent training in helping my leadership team and I be more aware of our unconscious biases. You’ve been brilliant in helping us collectively and individually critically examine our biases and start our adjustments. This will go a long way to help us make our organisations more inclusive.
Brig. P. Rowell, Royal School of Military Engineering.